Garden Snakes can be Dangerous
I didn’t think twice about this little fellow on my baby boxwood until I got this letter and now I know without a doubt that garden snakes can be dangerous…
Snakes also known as Garter Snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis) found in North America can be dangerous. Yes, grass snakes, not rattlesnakes. Here’s why.
A middle aged couple living in a small cottage had a lot of potted plants, during a recent cold spell, the wife was bringing a lot of them indoors to protect them from a possible freeze.
It turned out that a small green garden grass snake was hidden in one of the plants. When it had warmed up, it slithered out and the wife saw it go under the sofa.
She let out a very loud scream.
The husband (who was taking a shower) ran out into the living room naked except for a towel to see what the problem was. She told him there was a snake under the sofa.
He got down on the floor on his hands and knees to look for it.
About that time the family dog came and cold-nosed him on the behind. He thought the snake had bitten him, so he screamed and fell over on the floor.
His wife thought he had a heart attack, so she covered him up, told him to lie still and called an Ambulance.
About that time, the snake came out from under the sofa and the Emergency Medical Technician saw it and dropped his end of the stretcher. That’s when the man broke his leg and why he was kept in the Hospital.
The wife still had the problem of the snake in the house, so she called on a neighbour who volunteered to capture the snake. He armed himself with a rolled-up newspaper and began poking under the couch. Soon he decided it was gone and told the woman, who sat down on the sofa in relief.
But while relaxing, her hand dangled in between the cushions, where she felt the snake wriggling around. She screamed and fainted, the snake rushed back under the sofa.
The neighbour man, seeing her lying there passed out, tried to use CPR to revive her and was giving her mouth to mouth.
The neighbour’s wife, who had just returned home from shopping at the grocery store, saw what appeared to be her husband kissing her neighbour and in anger slammed her husband in the back of the head with a bag of canned goods, knocking him out and cutting his scalp to a point where it needed stitches.
The noise woke the woman from her dead faint and she saw her neighbour lying on the floor with his wife bending over him, so she assumed that the snake had bitten him. She went to the kitchen and got a small bottle of whiskey, and began pouring it down the man’s throat trying to revive him.
They saw the unconscious man, smelled the whiskey, and assumed that a drunken fight had occurred. They were about to arrest them all, when the women tried to explain how it all happened over a little garden snake!
The Police called an Ambulance, which took away the neighbour and his sobbing wife.
Now, the little snake again crawled out from under the sofa and one of the policemen drew his gun and fired at it.
He missed the snake and hit the leg of the end table. The table fell over, the lamp on it shattered and as the bulb broke, it started a fire in the drapes.
The other policeman tried to beat out the flames, and fell through the window into the yard on top of the family dog, who startled jumped out and raced into the street, where an oncoming car swerved to avoid it and smashed into the parked Police car.
Meanwhile, neighbours saw the burning drapes and called in the Fire Department.
The Firemen had started raising the fire ladder when they were halfway down the street. The rising ladder tore out the overhead wires, put out the power, and disconnected the telephones in a ten-square city block area (but they did get the house fire out).
Time passed! Both men were discharged from the Hospital, the house was repaired, the dog came home, the Police acquired a new car and all was right with their world.
A while later they were watching TV and the weatherman announced a cold snap for that night. The wife asked her husband if he thought they should bring in their plants for the night.
What a mess we get in when we Trust in our own fleshy understanding, logic and reasoning and depend on our own wordly limited resources instead of Trusting in God.
The snake doesn’t have to do a thing just recline and enjoy the show.
God does not want us to be afflicted or suffer or does He willingly allow it or cause it to happen for what ever reason.
Lamentations 3: 33 For He doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.
We give thanks for the mess, because God is the only one who can sort it out and work it all for good and so the mess can increase our Faith because we see God’s Loving hand in it… and so without a doubt we can give thanks in all things.
Posted for Lady Dei, thank you for your message, that encouraged mine. http://ladydeidre.com/2012/10/11/put-your-boots-on/